Volunteer Befrienders wanted for Adavu
The Adavu Project works to fight modern slavery in our communities. They are looking for volunteer befrienders, more information below.
Slavery and Exploitation still take place in towns, cities and rural communities in the West Midlands. Men, women and children can be trafficked for sexual exploitation, forced labour, domestic servitude, and other forms of slavery.
Adavu is a Birmingham based project, which offers long term support to adult survivors of modern slavery who are making the transition into life in a local community.
Could you offer support and practical help to our clients? Befrienders should be reliable, approachable and have good interpersonal skills. Being a Volunteer Befriender for Adavu might involve:
- Accompanying clients to specific appointments, e.g., to register with a new GP.
- Assisting the client with practical tasks; e.g., finding local shops
- Advocacy work; e.g. a phone call on behalf of the client if a housing repair issue arises.
- Social support; friendship and social opportunities, e.g. a visit to a local park, or cultural event
- Are you available for 1morning or afternoon a week?
- Do you have use of a car; or are you confident in using public transport? All travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- All potential volunteers will be required to undergo a criminal record (DBS) check.
Contact the team at email@example.com if you're interested in supporting this wonderful project.